The Solibri Model Checker system requirements page states that at least 16 GB of RAM is recommended to run SMC.
However, even a powerful machine with 32GB of RAM, for instance, may still run into memory issues when opening extremely large IFC files. Normally this out of memory error will appear as a Read Error message stating “Out of memory. You can try to increase the maximum memory.” as seen below:
To work around this type of memory issue, you can increase the “Mmx” option that specifies the maximum heap size, which is essentially the amount of RAM that SMC is allowed to use.
Open the .vmoptions file in a plain text editor for editing such as Notepad. The .vmoptions file is located in the Program Files folder of SMC as listed below:
C:\Program Files\Solibri\SMCv9.9\Solibri Model Checker v9.9.vmoptions
The first line of the file lists the maximum heap option, which is set to 8GB by default.
- Goto Applications -> Solibri Model Checker vX.X
- Right-click in the top of icon ‘Solibri Model Checker vX.X’ NOTE: double-clicking will start SMC
- Select ‘Show package contents’
- Inside the package, go to Contents > vmoptions.txt
- Open vmoptions.txt in textEdit (start text textEdit and drag&drop file to it)
- The file contains all same parameters as the VMoptions file in Windows
- Modify the “-Xmx” option and save the modified vmoptions.txt to your desktop (use the same file name)
- Drag and drop the new file to the original package overwriting the original version of vmoptions.txt
Assuming you have the corresponding amount of RAM installed on your machine, you can try doubling the value to 16GB by changing the first line to read “-Xmx16384m” and resaving. If the error message still occurs, you can try increasing the amount further.
If the problem still persists, please feel free to send a support request regarding the issue to email@example.com